Then & Now
In 1900 a group of German immigrant sugar beet farmers came to the Oxnard Plain. Shortly thereafter, this group, with the love of Jesus in their hearts, gathered and prayed about establishing a church to serve the people of the area. What birthed out of those prayers and those families ministering to one another was St. John’s Lutheran Church.
Over the years, the church began to grow as we proclaimed the gospel to the people of Ventura County. Eventually, we outgrew two of our locations and settled in at our current property on C Street in 1950. It was there that we established a day school which served our community for 70 years, and we have also planted numerous Spanish speaking congregations in Carpinteria, Santa Paula, Oxnard, and those congregations have recently planted a church down in Oaxaca Mexico.
Today, we continue that tradition of proudly proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ to all nations, and raising up the next generation to know the Lord.