THE BEGINNING ON C STREET
Since the beginning of this century, St. John’s Lutheran Church has been sharing
the love of Christ with the people of the Oxnard plain. Our ministry to the community began in 1900 when Oxnard was about 7,500 people; farming was the principle industry in the area. Our congregation was established in 1900 at the corner of 7th & "C" Street. his location served our congregation and the community until 1946, when our members realized the need to expand.
It was their time - a time to build.
THE MOVE TO H STREET
Agricultural property was acquired on "H" St. between 2nd & 3rd Streets.
The cucumber field was cleared and a building was erected at 2nd & "H" St.
half of the building was used for services and half for a fellowship area.
In 1949 a sanctuary was dedicated at the corner of 3rd & "H" St.
The need for Christian education was recognized, and in 1950
the building on 2nd St. was modified and St. John’s School was established.
By 1964 this H St. facility was no longer adequate for the congregation and
school, and so it was time again to build. The H street church was sold;
it has been used by the Buddhists since then.
THE BEGINNING ON C STREET
This time our present land site on "C" St. was purchased. Walnut trees were
removed and our school building was constructed as the first unit of development.
A portion of this building was used for worship services until 1968.
In 1968 it was time to build - time to build the sanctuary.
As ministries and as needs were more clearly seen by the people, again
they felt it was time to build. In the 1970’s the congregation grew in its staff.
But with the growing church and school, more space was needed.
Plans for the Fellowship Center were developed; it was completed
in 1979 Throughout our history St. John’s has been richly blessed
with people of vision for the future. Each generation in their own time invested their resources for future generations.
The members have changed, but the mission of this congregation never changes - and neither has its visionary spirit. Therefore in 1996 plans were developed to build an education building to house a Library and kindergarten. The church was also remodeled in order to meet changing worship needs. Every week St. John’s offers two types of worship services. These differing needs plus the desire to include appropriate audio/visual technology, shaped the design. We saw our renovation as an important way of reaching out to people - both to our present members and to visitors. What St. John‘s has today - the kind of wonderful facilities we have been blessed with - has come from the faith and courage of members of this church.
In the early days people saw the needs of a changing community. We are thankful that the current members have invested not only for themselves and their children and grandchildren, but also in the hope that we might reach in greater measure people who do not know Christ. We look forward to a new century with great zeal to serve the people in Ventura County and the world. To Him be all glory, honor, and praise!
St. John's Lutheran Church, 1500 North C Street,
Oxnard, California 93030 805-983-0330
St. John's Lutheran Church
a Grace place - a perfect place for imperfect people